Monday, March 11, 2013

Aren't you embarrassed??

One night, recently, while having a lovely dinner out with my daughter and my ex-in-laws, my former mother-in-law leans over and whispers in my ear "aren't you embarrassed to have people over to your house with it looking like that?"  Taken a bit aback, I nonetheless quickly answered, "NO."

Now understand my house is a complete wreck.  And I don't exaggerate.  No need.  The house speaks for itself.  There is not one room (well, maybe the foyer) that is not in some way torn apart or in some stage of construction.  My ex, before he left, started projects in every room in the house, including the attic and basement, that he never finished.  He literally could not finish ANYTHING he started.  There was always some bigger "design" that he had in mind and he was just starting all the pieces that would just someday "majically" fit together (if I would give him $$ so he could get started).  It was not uncommon for me to come home to a wall being knocked out.  Now if the walls would have gone back up, and or if he had actually finished what he was doing, it would have been ok.  But I am not so lucky!

So now that he is gone, it's a damn good thing I like puzzles. .  My house is kind of like a giant puzzle that I am slowing putting together.  First the outside and structural issues and then the inside and more cosmetic and decorative pieces will fall into place.

AND, NO, I am not embarrassed.  No need.  For starters, I did not tear the house up.  I will put it back together, however.  And I will not use my perpetually-in-a-state of construction house as an excuse to not entertain.  Then he (the ex) will have won.  Anyone who comes to my home knows why my house looks like it does, and if they don't like it, they can leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment